What is Garmin Alpha?
The Garmin Alpha 100 is a tracking/training collar that combines the industry leading Garmin GPS tracking system with 45 years of dog training collar technology from Tri-tronics in one handheld device.
The Garmin Alpha collar will update the dog’s location as often as every 2.5 seconds while giving you the ability to instantly control your dog with the training collar – all from one handheld device. The unit is expandable up to 20 dogs and powered by a Lithium Ion battery giving it the ability to run for up to 34 hours on a single charge.
The Alpha 100 handheld features a 3 inch sunlight readable touch screen color display that can be operated with one hand and is glove-friendly. It is waterproof to IPX7 standards which means the handheld case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
The touch screen allows for you to easily switch between dogs and allows you to configure your system to your specific needs.
How to setup Garmin Alpha?
Before you can use the Alpha handheld device and the TT™ 15 dog collar device, you must set up the devices.
- Install the battery in the handheld device-
- Turn the D-ring counter-clockwise, and pull up to remove the cover.
- Locate the metal contacts on the end of the lithium-ion battery.
- Insert the battery into the compartment, contacts first.
- Press the battery into place.
- Replace the battery cover, and turn the D-ring clockwise.
- Charge the handheld device-
- Lift the weather cap.
- Plug the small end of the power cable into the mini-USB port on the device.
- Plug the other end of the power cable into an appropriate power source.
- Charge the dog collar device-
- You should fully charge the battery before you use the device for the first time. Charging a fully depleted battery takes about five hours.
- Snap the charging clip onto the device.
- Plug the small end of the power cable into the mini-USB port on the charging clip cable.
- Plug the power cable into a power source.
- The status LED is solid red when the collar is charging
- After the status LED turns solid green, remove the charging clip from the collar.
How to Factory ResetGarmin Alpha 100?
There are a few instances in which you may want to perform a factory reset on the Alpha 100, including the following:
- Restoring the factory default settings
- Not functioning properly
Performing a factory reset can cause data loss.
To perform the factory reset:
- Power off the device
- Press and hold your finger on the upper left side of the display
- Power on the device
- Wait to see, do you really want to erase all user data?
- Release your finger from the upper left side of the display
- Touch Erase
- Allow the device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of the sky
- The device is now reset and ready for use.
The Garmin Alpha 100 software should be kept up-to-date in order to take advantage of improvements and bug fixes. Updates are free, and easy to install. Software updates can be installed through Garmin Express.
- Connect your Alpha 100 to your computer with a mini USB.
- Launch Garmin Express.
- Windows: Either double-click the express icon in the system tray (next to your time), double-click the shortcut on the desktop, or search for Garmin Express in your Start menu.
- Mac: Garmin Express can be found in the Applications folder in Finder.
- Select your Alpha.
- Garmin Express will then display the available updates. Select Install or Install All.
- Once complete, disconnect your device from the computer and power on the Alpha 100 to allow it load the update.
How to Activate an Update or Subscription with a Product Key/Voucher Code?
- Open Garmin Express
- Follow the prompts on screen to Add a Device to Garmin Express
- Click Tools & Content
- Click the Purchased tab
- Type the Product Key/VoucherCode in the Enter Voucher Code Field,
- Click Redeem
- Click Select
- Click Confirm
- Sign into your Garmin Account
- The update will now be activated on your device.